Thursday, January 2, 2014

A First Time Homeowner's DIY Blog

I've decided to start writing a blog, mainly focused on the crafts and home improvements that I love to do in my spare time.  Occasionally, my husband gets wrangled in to my projects so he may pop up in here too.  Having a couple readers would be nice, but with all the amazing blogs out there, I mainly see this as a way for me to keep track of all the progress that we make on our house.

My husband and I bought our first home about a month and a half ago and are having a lot of fun making decisions and changes together.  It's a small (around 800 square feet) two bedroom house with one bathroom that's typical in our area.  In fact, it's so typical that pretty much every house on the street has the same basic layout.  It's particularly convenient because you can see what changes other people have made inside or outside before deciding if you want to make that change.  Better to let the neighbors test out that new porch or closet before we do ;) Anyway, because it's small, or as my husband says "cozy", we have to come up with more creative ways store things, while keeping it comfortable and still us.




Our first big project is the kitchen.  Like every other person our age, we are paying student loans and now have a lovely mortgage :) so there is no complete renovation in the budget.  Instead, we are opting for some smaller changes to make the kitchen and eat-in dining area more practical for us.   We started working on some built in seating so I'll post more about that when we finish, but for now, here are some pictures from before we moved in.



5 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see how you and Eric make this house your home! One of the best things about blogging is that you will be able to look back at the progress you make. I love being able to see how much our apartment has changed over time. Your house is adorable by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very disappointed at the lack of pictures of the movers. Some of us "helped." And some of us stole babies from other helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute bungalow! We can't wait to see what you do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, and I cant wait to steal ideas! Congrats on the new house, its adorable!

    ReplyDelete